Often referred to as Britain’s oldest ally, Portugal is also tied to the UK as part of the European Higher Education Area. Although Portugal was badly hit by the Eurozone crisis, its universities are highly regarded internationally. The downside for UK applicants is that there are very few English-taught courses.
- Portuguese universities have existed since 1290. The oldest, the University of Coimbra, was first established in Lisbon before moving to Coimbra in 1537.
- Fees are competitive, from €950–1,250 a year.
- Five of Portugal’s universities are ranked within the top 700 in the 2014–15 QS World University Rankings. The University of Porto is 293rd, Universidade Nova de Lisboa 312th, University of Coimbra 351st, University of Lisbon is in the 501–550 band and Universidade Catolica Portuguesa Lisboa is in the 601-650 band.
Read more ...
Without a doubt, Lisbon is a happening place to study abroad. Each year, the beautiful capital city hosts numerous international events, including the world’s biggest music festival, Rock in Rio-Lisboa. There’s always something to do while exploring and enhancing your understanding of Portuguese society and culture. You’ll enroll in a variety of courses in both English and Portuguese, stay with a local family, volunteer, and go on exciting excursions in and around multicultural Lisbon – all with CIEE.
Study abroad in Lisbon and you’ll:
- Take courses in English at a Portuguese university with the opportunity to choose from a wide range of direct enrollment courses if your Portuguese language skills are up to it
- Become familiar with Portuguese history, culture, and current affairs through cultural and social activities and weekend excursions
- Live in a city with a rich multi-cultural history that is also a privileged gateway to other European and North African countries
Scholarships & Grants
We want as many students as possible to benefit from studying abroad. That’s why CIEE awards more than $3 million every year – more than any other international educational organization – to make study abroad affordable.
Applicants to this program are eligible for the following scholarships and grants:
- Bailey Minority Serving Institution Grants
- Ping Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Grants
To be considered, simply check the “Scholarships and Grants” box on your program application.
Published on 28 Oct 2013
2013 WISE Awards winner ALISON is transforming global online learning through its free interactive multimedia basic education and workplace skills training courses with certification. ALISON is a for-profit social enterprise and one of the world's most popular free learning websites providing over 500 courses to two million registered learners across every country.
Visit the website: http://alison.com/
SUBSCRIBE to get more videos from WISE: http://www.youtube.com/user/WISEQatar...
World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE) is an international, multi-sectoral and action-oriented platform for innovation in education that connects innovators, nurtures new ideas, and recognizes and supports successful initiatives that are helping revitalize education.
For more information about WISE: http://www.wise-qatar.org
Follow WISE on Twitter: http://twitter.com/WISE_Tweets
Like WISE on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/wiseqatar
- Standard YouTube Licence
Published on Sep 23, 2013
- Standard YouTube License
Published on Feb 5, 2013
Start the full free online course at:
All of ALISON's 500+ free online courses can be found at:
Starting a new course can be daunting as we can often doubt our ability and skills in learning. Fortunately, learning can be improved by the development of new personal study skills and practices. This free online course gives you the opportunity to understand how to learn effectively, teaches the fundamental skills necessary to improve your learning and performance and helps you to achieve both academic and personal success. The topics covered include key skills in learning, good academic practise and how to find information. You will also focus on developing your reading and thinking skills which are vital in any course of study. This course is ideal for preparing prospective students for life as a student and for life-long learners working in businesses and organisations.
- Standard YouTube License
Between the popularity of sharing information online and the rising cost of traditional education, an increasing number of free learning alternatives are being offered. The Rise of Free Online Education Infographic analyzes the rise in online learning trends in response to the ongoing increase in tuition costs. More people are taking education into their own hands by seeking free alternatives online.
Glaring examples of dissatisfaction with tuition hikes include the enrollment increase in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and the rising usage of free educational resources online.